You have finally decided to study in India, a good decision we might say! You are about to start your journey in one of the most culturally-rich countries in the world. Mark Twain once said. "India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great-grandmother of tradition." And what he said turns out to be quite true to its word.
India is known as the communication hub and is highly popular with international students across the globe. India attracts students due to its forward thinking, cultural diversity, popularity with top MNC’s, and also English being the most spoken and written language. All these developments and initiatives have brought the country to the forefront as a technologically advanced nation.
While India is booming and will continue to do so, here are charted out some of the important information to get you started with.
Indian Higher Education
Depending on what you study, attaining your degree in India can take three to five years. Postgraduate courses are generally two to three years long. After completing a postgraduate degree, there is an option of continuing on with doctoral studies and research at various educational institutes.
Student Visa Procedure
India offers various kinds of visas, depending on the purpose of your visit. The student visa is a visa specifically for the students wanting to come to India for education purpose. Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from Universities/recognized colleges or educational institutions in India.
To know more about the visa procedure, click here (hyperlink https://www.mea.gov.in/index.htm ) to view the list of Indian Embassies/ High Commission.
You can also view the sample visa form here (http://www.educationindia4u.nic.in/samplevisa.asp )
Here is a list of things that you should keep in mind, after landing in India.
This is the first thing that you should take care of. There are 2 channels for clearance:
- Green Channel: If you have any dutiable articles.
- Red Channel: If you have no dutiable articles or high-value articles.
During your stay
- Complete all paperwork and formalities
- Complete admission formalities with the adviser of the university/institute
- Go through medical test before obtaining residence permit
- Register with FRRO (Foreigner's Regional Registration Office) for further registration formalities
Living in India
Living in India is inexpensive and safe. From an International student's perspective, most Indians are peace-loving, happy and warm-hearted individuals. If you have not figured out your accommodation yet, you can always consult your university for accommodation facilities or look out for apartments available on rent. India being the affordable countries for education and accommodation, you will need to shell out a meager of somewhere between 1800-4200 USD (95k- 3Laks approximately) annually.
Cost of living
Living expenses (food and other) in India can go to about USD 100-150 (approximately 6-10K) a month.
Food and Entertainment
Diversity can be found in India's food as well as its culture, geography, and climate. Spices are a vital part of food preparation and are used to enhance the flavor of a dish. Many good eateries can be found out while you explore with your friends and as there is an abundance of flavorful food of all cuisines available, many noted places and activities are there to travel around.
Summing up, few of the general guidelines to keep in mind would be:
- Scholarship Program will provide support to the students selected for up to three years in the first instance. This can be extended for another two years for postgraduate study depending upon the student's performance in the graduate exams as well as the availability of funds.
- The number of scholarships to be given each year will be announced by May/June every year.
- Students will be selected on the basis of their academic excellence, social and economic background.
- Students selected can pursue any academic discipline in any University/College in India as long as it is consistent with the objective of FAEA (Foundation for Academic Excellence and Access).
Our attempt has been made to provide correct information; however, it is, subject to change from time to time.