Did you know? The term “Engineering” originates from the Latin word Ingenium means ‘Cleverness’ and Ingeniare means ‘to create’? Today’s modern definition of engineering utilizes basic mechanical principles to develop useful tools and objects. Engineering has contributed a lot to the nation and is one of the reasons why India is now a rapidly growing economy in the world. Studying these courses in India will provide students with exciting opportunities ahead.
Let’s have a closer look at the top Engineering courses available in India, based on previous trends and the past preferences of other engineering aspirants like you.
Top Engineering courses available in India:
- Chemical Engineering - Deals with the large-scale processing of chemicals and chemical products for industrial and consumer uses.
- Civil Engineering- Civil engineers design, build, and maintain the foundation of our modern society- focusing on construction, renovation, and rebuilding projects.
- Computer Engineering – It is the branch of engineering that integrates electronic engineering with computer sciences.
- Electrical Engineering – Developing, producing and testing of electrical and electronic devices and equipment.
- Electronics Engineering - Concerns with the production of communication equipment, computers, medical and scientific instruments, radar, radio and TV sets.
- Environmental Engineering - Help minimise and manage waste and pollution, protecting the air, water, soil, and ourselves from harmful chemicals.
- Mechanical Engineering- The need to design and manufacture everything from small individual parts and devices (e.g., microscale sensors and inkjet printer nozzles) to large systems (e.g., spacecraft and machine tools)
- Software Engineering- concerns with developing and maintaining software systems that behave reliably and efficiently, are affordable to develop and maintain, and satisfy all the requirements that customers have defined for them.
Duration of course:
Engineering qualification in India includes:
- Diploma in engineering (3/4 years, after class 10).
- Bachelor's degrees (4 years, after class 12): BE and B Tech. Both equivalents. Admission is usually through an engineering entrance examination.
- Master's degrees (2 or more years, after BE, BTech, MCA or equivalent): ME, MTech, MSc (Eng), MS ,MCA. Admission usually requires qualification in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or some work experience in engineering. A degree in M.Tech and ME would be of 2 years, and usually, have coursework in the first year and a project in the second year. The MSc (Eng) and MS degrees are usually research - oriented, and may require 2 or more years to complete.
- Doctoral degrees (3 to 5 years): Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy). Admission requirements vary across universities but usually include a master's degree in engineering or science, or a bachelor's degree in engineering with an exceptionally good academic record.
Generic fee structure for B.Tech
- Application Fee (one time): INR 1500 / USD 22
- Admission Fee (one time): INR 15,000 / USD 225
- Semester Fee (per semester): INR 40,750 / USD 608
How do you get there?
IES Examination Pattern
The entrance for Indian Engineering Service comprises of a Written Exam (section I and II) and an Interview. The details follow:
One Engineering Discipline should be chosen from the following categories:
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
The written examination will comprise two sections:
Section I - objective types questions
Section II – conventional (essay) type questions papers.
Both Sections will cover the entire syllabus of the relevant engineering subject.
For Maharashtra (West India):
The student needs to fulfill all requirements before he/she can apply for MHT CET 2017. Eligibility Criteria for MHT CET 2017 lists out particulars like subjects, age requirement, etc., which need to be met by the MHT CET 2017 aspiring candidates. MHT CET is an annual entrance exam conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), Maharashtra.
The contenders who are interested in appearing for MH CET 2017 have to check eligibility conditions. Here are some conditions to be satisfied.
- The applicants should have passed 10+2 Higher Secondary Exam from any recognized board of India.
- The applicants should have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics subjects
- The applicants should have the domicile of Maharashtra.
- The applicants should have passed the 10+2 exam with 50% for general category. The reserved category like ST/SC/OBC should have with 45%
MHT CET 2017 Eligibility Criteria for Maharashtra State Candidates and Outside Maharashtra State Candidates:
- Applicants are required to be Indian Nationals and should have passed class 12th Examination of Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education or its equivalent examination with subjects English, Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Candidates should have secured minimum 45% marks (for general category) and Minimum 40 % marks (in case of candidates of Backward class categories and
- Physically Handicapped belonging only to Maharashtra State) in the subjects Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics added together.
- Applicants are required to have obtained a non-zero score in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics added together at MHT CET 2017.
Eligibility Criteria for Foreign National/Foreign Student/PIO/Children of Indian workers in the Gulf countries/Children of NRIs:
An EQUIVALENCE CERTIFICATE is issued by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) for students who are pursuing a course not covered by CBSE/State Board etc.
The following foreign examinations have been recognized by AIU as equivalent to the +2-stage qualification of an Indian Board. Students who have cleared any of these examinations successfully may apply for admission to any of the Engineering courses.
- 12 years Baccalaureate Certificate of Afghanistan, France, Iraq, and Tunisia.
- 12 years General Secondary Education Certificate of the Ministry of Education – Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and other Gulf countries.
- GCE/IGCSE/GCSE examinations of the approved British Examining Bodies in UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Mauritius with passes in 5 subjects at Ordinary Level and 2 subjects at Advanced Level. For admission to professional courses in engineering. Advanced Level passes in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Mathematics and English are required besides 5 passes in GCE Ordinary Level.
- High School Diploma from an accredited school in the USA.
- Intermediate/Senior Secondary/Higher Secondary of the approved Boards in Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
- 12 years secondary stage qualification of National Examination Board/Council of the Ministry of Education – Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, and Tanzania.
- 12-years Secondary Stage qualification of Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Socialist Republic of Vietnam and the Yemen Arab Republic.
- 12-year High School Diploma awarded by the accredited American School/International Schools in other countries following American pattern of education.
Other equivalent Examination certificates to be produced (sample):
- 12-years Secondary Stage Examination conducted by various Provinces in Australia and Canada.
- GCE Ordinary and Advanced Level examination of the Department of Examination, Government of Sri Lanka.
- 12-years STPM examination of Malaysia.
For detailed information, visit Association of Indian Universities (AIU) website here (hyperlink http://www.aiu.ac.in/index.asp )
The contenders who are appearing for MH CET better to know the exam pattern for better scoring.
The Exam pattern will be of three papers:
- FIRST PAPER: Physics and chemistry (100 marks each)
- SECOND PAPER: Botany and Zoology (100 marks each)
- THIRD PAPER: Mathematics (100 marks)
Note* All the questions are in the MCQS. No negative marks for incorrect answers.
For more details visit official website of MH CET 2017 > www.mhcet-exams.co.in
There has also been no dearth of opportunities for aspirants after graduation in engineering. The career options for engineers can range from esteemed Indian Engineering Services (IES) or, jobs in Public Sector Units (PSU) offering diversified, challenging and stable career options, to research and development, teaching and prestigious private sector lucrative jobs after Masters in respective discipline in engineering after qualifying Graduate aptitude test in engineering (GATE).
Post engineering degree there are other options for engineers like Civil Services, State Engineering Services, MBA, Banking Sector, Defense Services and information technology sector.
Accelerate your dream career with a suitable choice of courses available, considering your academic background, future career goals, and where you wish to specialize in.
Click here to search engineering colleges in India:
- Civil Engineering Colleges -